On Oct 10, 2008, at 2:42 PM, William Brall wrote:

Are there any other IxDs who work in government, as IxDs or stubbornly supporting IxD while under other titles, and if there are, what are your thoughts on how to help the government at large to embrace IxD?

William,

My company does a lot of government contract work. I've been working with Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal (JEOD) for eight years. I've also worked with the Navy's FA-18 program, Maritime Intercept Operations, and others. My company's approach to this work is that IxD is part of the process and my involvement is what distinguishes our work from our competitors.

You're right, most people don't know what an Interaction Designer does, but the military does care about Human-Systems Integration (HSI). They can be quite rigorous about performing field trials and collecting feedback from the warfighters. I can't speak to affecting the government "at large", but I do know that by doing good work, I make an impression on those that we work with. After working with me, they have some understanding of the value that Interaction Design brings to the table. Now, that doesn't always mean they are converted— I occasionally get the feeling they feel threatened by somebody who is competent—but, overall, my company maintains long-term relationships and a degree of respect.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't try to make the government see the light. I lead by example, educate when given the opportunity, and always strive to make the best impression I can. I would say the root of your observation is just that there are very few IxDers working for government contractors.

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer