I agree with Will's argument that "interaction design", whatever
the final definition eventually comes out to be, can be more than
what we think of as a "standard" interface. In his description, I
did not see a civil engineer any more than I see in the description
of an interface/interaction designer a software engineer.

I'm not sure that I'm following the descriptions of what many of
the majority on this list are proposing as what it is that an
interaction designer does. The general examples seem to a bit
esoteric, while the practical descriptions seem to have more to do
with a person's level of autonomy and status at work than their
actual application of skills.

Rather than discuss what an interaction or interface designer is, why
not discuss what it is they are not.