hi,

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 13:25 +0000, james horgan wrote:
> actually i wanted to add something to what i was writing as this
> reminds me of the same problem i used to have as an industrial
> designer. Whether to call myself an industrial or a product designer.

I solved my design education in Germany, where all traditional graphic
design courses were renamed to Kommunikationsdesign or Visuelle
Kommunikation (I think you can guess what these terms mean :)

most people that graduated with me call themselves communication
designers, because the abstract, high-level communication between viewer
and artifact is what's interesting about it, not making some nice
graphics, and because this opens the field to cover things like film,
web, signage, interface (haha) etc.
besides it was the name of the course.

despite of this development, graphic design is still far more known and
easier to understand. the discussion on interface vs interaction design
actually reminds me of graphic vs. communication design.

regarding terms like social interaction design, I think inventing names
for special areas of expertise is a natural way for an emerging
discipline. my counterpart example from communication design would be
editorial design.

milan
--
milan guenther * interaction design