The definition of IxD I currently favor is:

A design approach that seeks to harmonize the behaviors of products,
environments, and systems with the behaviors of target users, in order to
produce optimal outcomes.

As in previous definitions I've proposed, form is a means of manifesting,
supporting, or reflecting behavior and thus also a concern of IxD, but
secondary to the behavior itself. Optimal outcomes may include not only the
immediate experience of users, but short, medium and long term outcomes for
both users and anyone / anything affected by the design.

To me what makes IxD important as an approach (if not a discipline in its
own right) is its unique focus on behavior (and the aesthetics thereof)
rather than form. In practice, as others have stated, there is not much
difference between the terms "interface design" and IxD, except that
"interface" as a term is not very explicit about the medium of exchange
between human and artifact being behavior, whereas IxD highlights this fact.
I therefore feel it is a more appropriately descriptive term that cuts to
the chase of the design activity involved. "Interface" design also implies
the design of a control surface (and the term comes from an era when
relatively unsophisticated GUIs were slapped on top of piles of code), while
interaction clearly reaches far beneath the surface to define the entire
purpose of a product or service. A matter of semantics? Perhaps, but
sometimes semantics are important if they can bring clarity to the task at
hand.

Robert.

Robert Reimann
IxDA Seattle