"People are used to it" is a horrible excuse for just about
anything.  And I doubt many people would argue that point.

That aside, when examining the usability of anything, it is important
to understand people's goals.  Are people interested in quickly
scrolling through channels?  Are people interested in browsing
through the channels one at a time to see what the options are?  Or
are people frequently bypassing the TV's channel changing system
because of cable boxes, satellites, TiVo, and whatever other systems
are out there?

I'll admit that I haven't owned a TV in several years, but I liked
clicking through the channels to see what was on and it sounds as
though the click wheel would complicate the way in which I did that.

How well can people with limited dexterity interact with
mouse-wheel-like-dials?  Television remotes are used by a huge range
of people, with differing physical capabilities.  Would wheels
exclude part of the target population?  I really don't know the
answer to that question, I'd be curious if someone could shed light
on that topic.

There probably are better options than the current one.  I don't
particularly have any suggestions though, but the problem is not
quite as simple as it may initially seem.