On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM, William Brall <dam...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> So you are saying that having a remote that is cheaper and will last
> longer than my LCD TV is likely to last, is more important than ease
> of use and speed?

To you obviously not.  And yes to a manufacturer useability and hyper
longevity it's far lower in the food chain.

Churn happens: To keep up with the competition, supply chain, trends/style,
TV manufacturer's (like auto manufacterers) typically have to create new
models every year, regardless or not if the there are any significant
upgrades.  Design is disposable, closed source, created with small design
teams and budgets.  Unlike the mobile/web industry I'm not sure if things
are getting dramatically better, I don't regularly watch TV.

Penny's Count. Manufacturer's gamble each time they put a new unit out
there, they don't know what is going to sell, what the competition has going
for it. When you are dealing with mass manufacturing of millions of units,
penny's add up.   For each TV they typically design a remote to go with it.
So if something costs $1 or $1.50 makes a huge difference as the
manufacturer have to pony up this money up front, and may not see a profit
on many of them ever, multiple this across dozens to hundreds of models...

Consumers Don't Care.  Most consumers in the show room most likely do not
pick a TV based on the remote, if they even get to see one.  The buy based
on screen size, appearance and cost first, and will probably live with
anything.  Jog wheels in VCR's were a trend, but it's not something I see on
most DVD remotes, despite both navigating a linear timeline, possibly
because VCR's can record *shrugs*. From a manufacterer's position, I doubt
there is a huge difference between the good or badness of design of a remote
and the sales of a unit, so it makes sense to not gamble.

Having worked on some ITV projects, the problem for applying the mouse
scrolling paradigm extends deeper when you have the intelligence on the
backend of cable box.  The bandwidth downstream is high, but upstream is
tiny, and only suited for high latency events like infrequent button
presses.  So you can't play pong.     Some set top boxes do have enough
intelligence to support mice/trackballs but these are the minority and
usually cost at a premium.

Anyway if you feel it's that important, aftermarket parts (including
remotes) are a large market, go design a remote control and sell it.  Get a
job in the industry and attempt to change it.  Stop using your remote as a
lightsaber, get a wii or a real lightsaber instead.