I agree with Rob, but in house recruiting is time consuming, which means it
costs the company money, but it is a hidden cost. It costs about $100 for
scheduled participant to use a recruiting service and they take on the
burden of replacing no shows and such. If you find a recruiting agency you
like, stick with them. Give them a very detailed user profile and provide
the qualifying criteria for each study and let them do the work so you can
focus on designing and administering the tests. That is what Microsoft does
because they need thousands of participants every year; they contract with
vendors to do the work to get butts into chairs.

I have done lots of remote testing, and it often works well, depending on
what you are testing or evaluating. But I have had even more no-shows with
remote testing and I think this is because they have no sense that anyone
will miss them, perhaps.

And when Rob says pay more money, that means paying people what they feel
their time is worth. You are taking 1, 2, or 3 hours of their time in order
to improve a product and make a higher profit. They know that and I think
participants sometimes feel we take advantage of them. Never expect people
to show up out of altruism.

Mary Deaton
Manager, STC Usability and User Experience

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Rob Tannen <rtan...@bresslergroup.com>wrote:

> Vicki - Some recommended bast practices for participant recruitment
> and retention:
>
> -Expect a 25% cancellation/no-show rate.  So for every four slots you
> need to fill, you need to recruit 5 people.  You can schedule extra
> slots or use "floaters" -- people scheduled  to serve as
> substitutes overlapping with specific time slots.  If you're running
> ahead of schedule you can include the floaters as well.
>
> -Remind recruited participants ahead of time (week before, then day
> before).  Tell people to come in 15 minutes before the actual testing
> slow and then call them on their cell phones if they are not there at
> that time.
>
> -Pay more money.  Increase your participant incentive by 10-20% can
> be a cost-effective way to improve show-up rates.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38251

Mary Deaton
Yes we can. Yes we did. Yes we will