Hi guys,

So here's my take on IA and IxD, and it's a unifying one that I
think represents more of the majority opinion. Of course, pipe up if
you think I'm wrong. :)

Information Architecture looks through the lens of product design
with a focus on structure, on the "space" side of the space-time
continuum. Interaction Design looks through the lens of product
design with a focus on behavior, on the "time" side of the
space-time continuum. We are sister disciplines when operating in the
digital realm, absolutely. If there's silicon, there's near-infinite
complexity to mold into order. The object, the structure, the
information cannot be useful without its purpose, the behavior, the
interaction. So stop any unproductive bickering and recognize that
yet again, your perspective on the issue comes from your own personal
context and "consensus" is impossible but clarification is. Polite,
respectful clarification.

As far as working together, I have a practical question for the group
coming from my capacity as director of the Conan project. What would
people think of soon splitting the IxDA Discussion into various
sub-forums, to which you could subscribe/publish/observe etc.?
Specifically, one of which could be "Information Architecture".
Other potential discussions would be Local Groups and Jobs and
someday Events, as well. In the case of an "IA" discussion forum,
this could be a place where a typical IxD practitioner with just
surface knowledge of IA methods could ask questions and get expert
after all. Constructive or unhelpful? I get worried about subdividing
the conversation on nearly un-definable grounds; like, IxDA would
never want a stand-alone"Prototyping" forum...or would we? Thanks
for your thoughts about IxDA IA... ;)

Cheers,
Liz