Todd makes a great point. The inclusion of the user is really an
afterthought in any Agile discussions I've witnessed or been a part
of. I understand that Jeff Patton (amongst others) has been moving in
this direction, but I am unsure just how far and how successfully.

It's important to differentiate from a language point of view. When
they speak of the customer in the Agile world, they don't always
seem to mean the 'user'.

Lastly, when those objecting to UCD launch into a conversation, they
seem to narrow the scope of UCD to a specific process. I would put
forth that most people advocating UCD are no longer talking about a
specific or narrowly defined process. In fact they are not talking
about a process at all. What they are talking about is a general
philosophy where by the user, is the central focus of the design
work. Not the technology, and not the business goals - those come
later or are secondary. It's centered around the user because
filling a need or want in the market place... and matching the
solution to that need is core to the product's success in the
marketplace.

If you believe that the user or the consumer is not core to
everything being worked on at Apple you are absolutely out of your
mind.

Yes, there are distribution channels where the person the specs the
solution... the person that makes the purchase... are not the end
user. But this is a sales and marketing consideration, and a
convoluted way to design products and services.

The user... and by that I mean the person that will ultimately be
using the product (- sigh -) is the thing designers need to
understand first. Otherwise its all a crap shoot.

Mark