tamanaco wrote:
> peter;331927 Wrote:
>
>> Phil Leigh wrote:
>>
>>> I have to agree - Moose is about as easy to install as it gets! -
>>> literally one click to extract that zip file - and it's done.
>>>
>> Last time I tried (a while ago, I admit) I had to install a mysql
>> library first and jump thru hoops to get it to connect to the mysql
>> server IIRC (my SC/mysql server's on a different machine as it should
>> be). Shipping windows programs in zip files is of course horribly
>> primitive. Wrap the thing in Inno Setup (
>> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php ) to save your users the trouble
>> and to do things the way they were intended on Windows (with a proper
>> uninstall option).
>>

> With the recent versions of Moose the only "installation" difficulty
> that an average user "might" find is to open the default port (9092) in
> the firewall of remote server.  The days of having to edit the my.tt
> file in mysql folder are long gone. Moose does not modify or replace
> any the configuration files in the host computer. It is as simple as it
> can get. As I mentioned before, there is plenty of room for Moose
> enhacements, but installation is not one of them. As far as I can tell,
> Moose is a "one-man" show. If Moose was in the hands of a small
> development "team", more enhancement could be added in a shorter period
> of time.

I'll try it again some time and see if I like it this time. Fully agree
with the one man show bit, that's why I think it would be good if there
was an 'official alternative'. (and I still think it should self-install
like any decent app, even putty - once the ultimate one-file-app - has
self installers these days and I use them).

Regards,
Peter