pfarrell;339985 Wrote:
> The transporter is a computer. As is the
> Controller, and of course the thing running SqueezeCenter.
>
> They are not like a turntable, where you turn it on, put the arm over
> the record and music appears.

The original poster, in my opinion, had reasonable expectations.  I
know that these things are computers and highly complex, but ideally
much of that complexity would be hidden from the user and things such
as upgrades would go smoothly, without ever causing panic among
customers that they may have 'bricked' their expensive transporter h/w.
I know that there are many things that make this close to impossible
to fully achieve. But once a company has decided it is not their
ambition to strive for that goal, you can be very sure the ideal won't
be even approximately achieved, and that if the market offers an
alternative that seems to offer appliance-like simplicity and
reliability -- good old free market economics will punish the
non-achiever.

Don't get me wrong, I am fan of Slim Devices and what they do and I do
still recommend them to friends.  But if the *perception* is that the
experience of these wonderful products is likely to spoiled by the
quality of the software, their success will be limited.  So, if a
professor of computer science at Cal feels that the experience he had
is not recommendable to others, don't just condescendingly dismiss it.
Suffice to say, if I were in a QA or marketing role at SD, I would make
sure his voice was heard!

--dsdreamer

--
dsdreamer