peter;408421 Wrote:

> MyD-link 633 seems to think there's some advantage to be had in using
> N-only mode:
>
> "If all of the wireless devices you want to connect with this router
> can
> connect in the same transmission mode, you can improve performance
> slightly by choosing the appropriate "Only" mode. If you have some
> devices that use a different transmission mode, choose the appropriate
>
> "Mixed" mode."
>
> Also using a mixed mode precludes you from using the 5 Ghz N-mode, and
>
> as Wikipedia says:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless-N#Deployment_Strategies
> "To achieve maximum throughput a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is
> recommended."
>
> So there seem to be some disadvantages.
> I don't worry about them and run a mixed network in which my SB's and
> server are wired.
>
> Regards,
> Peter

They are wrong. Again, that thinking is a holdover from the days of
802.11b, which actually did NOT interoperate well with g.

B devices DO slow down all devices on a G network, just by being
connected to the AP, even if they are idle. (not exactly to 802.11b
speeds, but much slower).

This is simply NOT TRUE of G devices on an N network.

I am not surprised that some guy editing wikipedia, or a consumer
network company that wants you to upgrade all your NICs would continue
to say it.

I really think you should test this. Its very easy. I have.

--
seanadams