I don't think it's a general iPod touch issue, I believe the issue is
that since it's a very expensive thing to fix people sell them off when
the screen is cracked.

My experience is that the screens are actually _very_ robust.

I've dropped all of my devices a lot and so far I crashed the screen of
one iPhone 3 (when it fell right at a stone) and of my iPad two. The
latter (iPad 2) was indeed a systematic problem that I predicted on the
day I got it and has to do with the fact that the SmartCover is way to
flimsy to give it any hold.
A lot of people crash iPhone 4 for the same reason: it's a very slick
device that tends to drop easily from your pocket.

Add to that that a lot of people use the devices a lot.

But it's almost impossible to scratch the screen and when it just drops
to the floor the "normal" way chances are high it survives. I'd say
better than with most other phones with similar screens.
Actually the worst device in that respect may be iPhone 4(S).

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com