aubuti;670379 Wrote:
> I'm curious to try MediaMonkey, but before I go to the bother of
> installing it, could you explain how MM gets the tracks from my
> computer to my stereo systems? I've browsed the MM web page, and so far
> to me it looks to be more like iTunes, Winamp, Foobar2000, etc. That is,
> designed to play back on the computer itself, or possibly output to an
> audio system via soundcard, USB, or maybe digital output. But maybe I'm
> overlooking something. Thanks.

I am using it like Winamp or Foobar2000 on a computer.
It may be possible to run it with some smartphone plugins, but I didn't
check and I don't know.

A USB dac is connected to the computer and to my stereo system.
Since I do need a computer with the Squeezebox Touch anyway and have
everything wired, I am seriously thinking in replacing the Squeezebox
Touch system by a good USB dac, a small silent nettop, and a good user
friendly music software (ideally with some android smartphone app as a
remote for the software).

Some good nettops running Windows 7 have a remote, can be connected to
a Touch screen (not squeezebox touch here, but computer touch screen),
softwares can probably be run with an android smartphone.

There is a MediaMonkey plugin for Squeezeboxes (MonkeySqueeze), but I
don't know how it works exactly and I understood I do need LMS and its
database to use it.
If so, I cannot get rid of LMS scanner.

The point is not to compare MediaMonkey to Squeezeboxes system (I don't
really like the look of MediaMonkey interface, but that's just me).
The point is to see that it is not that difficult to have a software
which can :

- select some files wherever there are (internal HDD, external HDD,
network location, usb stick)
- add full directories to the library if you feel like it.
- have an advanced library management with automatic rescan if you
really want it
- etc ...

All that without any hassle for normal users, no mandatory scans, no
unexpected rescans when you don't expect them, no scan or rescan
crashes (at least nothing compared to SBS/LMS)

I give MediaMonkey example because I use it, and think that file
selection and library management are really great and reliable, but it
is probably the same for Winamp, Foobar, etc ...

--
nicolas75