michel;698290 Wrote:
> Personally, I think the retina display's resolution is just unnecessary.

Have you actually seen it and used it? And especially: have you seen
the old one?

The original iPad's display probably was the lowest resolution display
still around (except for TVs, which you view from a distance).
It might not be the most important thing for images or music Apps but
for reading long texts, the original iPad display was close to
unacceptable and very tiring. Even the retina display still holds
potential and is not as good as, say, the original Kindle.

The iPad is thought to be used - among other things - for written media
and actually there's a lot of use in that area and I believe to really
be an alternative to printed media the new iPad's display is pretty
much the minimum you need.

We are still a factor of 2-3 away from print and even the iPhone (and
other modern phones) have a higher resolution and you don't do as much
reading on them.

> Same as we are still seeing with meegapixels in digital cameras.

That's a very different story. These higher pixel densities are in
areas where the sensor noise made actual improvements impossible even a
few generations ago. High resolution camera sensors generate images that
produce up to 20 times the number of pixels the iPad shows.

> What resolution of cover art will you use in the future?

The same as in the past: the biggest one I can get hold of.

> Probably cover art soon will rival flac files in size!
If you use a decent format, file size doesn't scale with resolution.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, iPeng for iPad and
*New: iPeng Party, the free party App*, at penguinlovesmusic.com