MrSinatra wrote:

> does anyone really believe that an audio product should exist today
> whose main/native UI is webui?  i would bet most people still using
> server are using some other UI.

No, I don't think an audio product whose main UI is web based have a
strong future. To expand this even further, I don't think an audio
product whose main UI has to be accessed from a computer have a strong
future. In comparison, I think a web UI has a greater future than a
Windows based UI, because there is at least a theoretical chance the web
UI will work on tablets/smart phones.

However, the web UI is not the main UI for the Squeezebox products, the
main UI for a Squeezebox is either a smart phone/tablet or the on-device
controls (Touch screen, hard buttons) and this kind of UI's definitely
have a future.

If we would have a poll among all Squeezebox users (not just the geeks
on this forum), I imagine that a very small percentage would say that
they sit beside the computer when they control their Squeezebox.

MrSinatra wrote:

> i hope logitech sells slim to someone else.  i thought they'd be good
> for slim.  i was WAY wrong.

In theory, Logitech provides what Slim Devices didn't have:
- Economical strength ( of a large company)
- Global distribution
- Knowledge about mass market users

In practice I see similar issues as you do, but the issue isn't the
above points, the issues are other points like:
- Lack of product strategy
- Lack of knowledge regarding user needs around music streaming
- Lack of marketing/advertisement skills

Most of them were supposed to come from Slim Devices but unfortunately
Logitech didn't succeed in keeping everyone from Slim Devices as
Logitech employees.

It's not as simple as just dedicating more resources to the development,
first they have to understand what kind of functionality the users
want.

Regarding possibilities to sell to someone else, the only thing I see a
real value in is:
- SBS/LMS (which is already open source and free for someone else to
take)
- Agreements with service providers (which Logitech probably can't or at
least aren't willing to sell)

So hoping for someone to suddenly buy Squeezebox product family is
probably to hope too much unless someone in the community or among
previous Slim Devices employees would decide it was of interest