Both of my 1G iPod touch's are still being used every day although both
not by me.
I bought the first one on the day it came out, that's almost 5 years
now.

You are right, App support is almost nonexistent anymore (I can't even
make iPeng builds for it myself now, for example) so they've pretty much
become what the Squeezebox has always been: single purpose devices as a
remote control or an actual audio player (something the "iPod" touch
hasn't been throughout the first few years of it's life.
Although one is still being used for internet browsing an e-mail, too.

But you are right: my SB3s are still the _most_ used Squeezeboxes I have
so there's clearly a difference in the level of aging.