results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

azinck3 wrote:
> I can't speak to whether or not the idea would fail, but I CAN say that
> I'm with JJZolx on this one.  I don't want a TV everywhere I might want
> an SB for MANY reasons (cost, aesthetic, heat, etc.).  And even if I do
> have a TV there I don't really want to have it on just so I can glance
> up and see what's playing.  TV's (especially when they're on) have a way
> of dominating a room and commanding attention; it lends a different
> atmosphere to the room that I don't want when listening to audio.  Maybe
> I'm not imaginative enough, but I'd be super happy if they'd make
> something very similar to the SB3 but figure out a way to get it to
> support Airplay (not something I care about personally, but I recognize
> it as being important for broader adoption).

I also wouldn't want a TV but then neither does the display have to be
visible from across the room - I personally use my android phone to
control all my squeezebox receivers and it works very well.

For the majority of users, I would imagine a plug and play system,
streaming music via the internet is pretty much what they want, if the
price was right, including music subscription. For those of us who want
local copies of our music ripped from CDs  etc. then I for one would
prefer hardware that is plug and play compatible with different sources
- i.e. if I have Squeezeserver hosting my music or JRiver MediaCenter,
it doesn't matter. I buy the hardware that I need for the audio
requirements (cheap and small for the kitchen, better DAC etc for the
main room) and mix and match it with the software solution that suits me
best.

I was hoping that UPnP/DLNA was the solution but hardware support is
very patchy.

The raspberry pi (or similar) idea mentioned before sounds good and may
be the way to go, but again not for the majority.