results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

ninthsrw wrote:
> Seems to me that there three distinct markets evolving here:
>
> 1) is the Radio market (i.e. streamer + built in speaker) - a SB revival
> won't win this because Logitech has it locked down - though such a
> device is arguably best suited to mass i-device appeal.
>
> 2) the sub $500 market of people who want a device to deliver streaming
> music to their existing stereo (from personal cloud storage, internet
> radio, NAS, USB stick, SD Card, PC/Mac, whatever), which is likely
> comprised of a receiver with its own DAC(s). In this use case, analog
> outputs and amplification are completely necessary - the entire device
> could be digital, designed for the sole purpose of passing the highest
> quality (bits/Hz) signal to a receiver for decoding - from a marketing
> perspective the quality possible should be better than the best offered
> by Sonos. Building AirPlay or Bluetooth into a device like this might
> also increase the size of the market to which it would appeal.
>
> 3) the HiFi folks who want their streamer to also serve as a super high
> quality DAC - the use case here is for folks who are going to plug a
> Transport like device into a power amp, such that high quality outputs
> are an absolute necessity. Users of this deice would probably not want
> any AirPlay or Bluetooth potentially introducing noise. Other digital
> inputs that the super high quality DAC portion can be used independent
> of any related streaming functionality would also probably be
> appreciated by these user.
>
> Why not aim for 2 and 3? Seems there profitable markets for both.

I think this is a fair assessment.  But what was/is so nice about the SB
ecosystem is that it provides a common framework for both Radios AND
Transporters.  Manage your library once, access it anywhere.  Also: sync
between such disparate devices.  The only difference is playback
quality.  That's why I think it's important to support a broader
spectrum of devices rather than just targeting one of your use-cases.