I think the goal needs to be sorted out to provide guidance on this
project.  Yes, treat this like a project.  I see several scenarios:
1)  Build a box that relies on the existing Logitech software and
mysqueezebox.com
a.  A box for the tech savvy computer music enthusiast.
b.  A box for a music enthusiastic, and if they follow very clear
instructions with specific equipment and software, they can get it to
work
c.  Plug and play

2)  New hardware and user interface  (does not rely of Logitech’s
software or servers)
a.  A box for the tech savvy computer music enthusiast.
b.  A box for a music enthusiastic, and if they follow very clear
instructions with specific equipment and software, they can get it to
work
c.  Plug and play

If you are doing either 1a or 2a, I am not interested.  In this thread I
did not understand all this linux stuff, so I am not your audience.  The
instructions I have seen to upgrade/downgrade a UE radio make no sense
to me!

If you are doing 1b., I am probably not interested as I already have a
SB3, Touch, and two Radios.  If it fixes the problems with the Touch to
be a server, then I could be very interested if I think I could
implement it successfully.   If you are doing 2b, then I might be more
interested to transfer to a platform that has a future.

The whole option 1 is puzzling to me because everyone here already has a
SB product, so why do we need another self-made product?  The answer is
because it solves a problem with the existing SB line or it adds a
feature that is currently not available.  (Ok, some of you just want to
tinker with DIY projects and that is the only reason you need.)   For
me, an enthusiast and not a computer geek, it needs to be implementable
(with very clear and specific instructions) and reliable.  However, I am
concerned about investing more in a product when Logitech might pull the
plug.   My main use is to connect to my own music server, but I do like
internet radio and the Pandora services, so I do want to use those
services in the future.

If you are doing 1c, my comment is this is probably not a good idea as
you might face the lawyers from Logitech and spending the effort to
build a product that the manufacturer will no longer supports seems
silly.

If you are doing 2c, then I could be interested.  Especially if it WORKs
without the buggy LMS software and other problems I am having with the
Touch spontaneously shutting down.   The Olive One looks like a
promising replacement platform for the SB.  If I order an Olive One, I
will probably sell my 4 month old Touch to pay for it!

I met with the Olive One developer in their San Francisco office and I
am intrigued.  They are almost done with the hardware design.  They are
looking to add analog out, but it would require some board reconfigure.
The user interface was about 40% done.  I like the idea of the box being
a server so I don’t need to turn the computer on or set another NAS
device with is associated problems.  They are also going to build a
speaker that fits under the box.  They are all very well made.