JJZolx wrote:
> We're talking about some kind of kit? Didn't sound like that to me from
> John's posts. If you're just talking about installing a board in a case,
> I'm game, but all that saves anyone packaging these things is a couple
> of minutes work. If you're talking about soldering RCA jacks and antenna
> leads, fuggedaboutit.

My guess is that it would be similar to a Raspberry Pi, basically you
would just have to install the board in a case, no soldering should be
needed unless I'm missing something.

JJZolx wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing other opinions about whether your concerns
> over pre-installing the necessary software are valid. I can see what
> you're saying about codecs, but the OS image itself? Wouldn't it be
> possible to automate the installation of the software necessary for the
> codecs from the planned web interface, possibly even making it part of
> the installation process itself? Scripts that would download and install
> the software, much like the extension downloader of LMS.

Agreed, would be good to get some information from someone who knows
this stuff, I just read a bit yesterday and found the license prices
here:
http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/hardware.html
(It's the minimum $15 000/year fee which is the issue)

I suspect you can't have it pre-installed on an image, I'm not sure if a
way around it would to download and install it automatically during
installation. Most application I've seen seem to instruct users to
download and install mp3 decoders manually completely separate from the
application, so that would definitely be an option, but it would make
the installation process a bit more complex.