erland wrote:
> With DIY I meant that each user would have to buy the parts and assemble
> it themselves and download and install the software, even if the
> software part would just be a matter of downloading an image and loading
> it to a SDHC card (or similar). This is all a big step compared to
> getting a Squeezebox Receiver in the store.

We're talking about some kind of kit? Didn't sound like that to me from
John's posts. If you're just talking about installing a board in a case,
I'm game, but all that saves anyone packaging these things is a couple
of minutes work. If you're talking about soldering RCA jacks and antenna
leads, fuggedaboutit.

> If someone would decide to sell it per-assembled and pre-installed they
> would end up with patent/licensing issues regarding MP3, WMA, AAC codecs
> as far as I've understood, since it would then be considered to be a end
> consumer device where these patents/licenses applies. Getting the
> necessary licenses would increase the price a bit more and would in
> worst case make it too expensive even for enthusiasts, especially if you
> can only sell it to 100 people where the MP3 license would add $150 to
> each device. Not sure if it would be possible to solve by letting the
> user install the codecs themselves, but that would make it even more
> complex to set it up and make it kind of a DIY device again.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions about whether your concerns
over pre-installing the necessary software are valid. I can see what
you're saying about codecs, but the OS image itself? Wouldn't it be
possible to automate the installation of the software necessary for the
codecs from the planned web interface, possibly even making it part of
the installation process itself? Scripts that would download and install
the software, much like the extension downloader of LMS.