As an LMS (Touch) user, I have been looking at alternatives.  The main
listening is done in my lounge, remote from the music server, connected
via Ethernet.

The closest I got to a working alternative that can make use of custom
tags (for classical music) was:

- flacs still on my Vortexbox as usual (but not using the DLNA server
provided)
- foobar2000 on my main deskptop Linux PC (under Wine), reading the
flacs from the Vortexbox, with the UPnP plugin, using foobar's
customised DLNA menu facility (which can read custom tags) and acting as
the server over Ethernet
- one or another UPnP controller on my (wireless) laptop Linux PC or
SmartPhone controlling foobar2000
- my hi-fi pre-amp supports UPnP (over Ethernet) but the menu is worse
than useless, hence the use of a laptop (or smartphone) as a controller

This all almost works, except that the controllers are all very
unreliable (crashing regularly, failing to read the menus, and so on),
so near useless for regular listening.

foobar2000 is a wonderful, peerless, tool, and I wouldn't be without it,
even with LMS.  I use it for playing music near the server, checking
tags (set using puddletag or mp3tag) and format conversion. I have built
up (filter) menus not unlike those I have in Custom Browse in LMS.

I can listen to my music in other rooms via wired PCs and foobar2000,
without using UPnP.  This doesn't provide any synchronisation, but I
have rarely wanted to do this except to prove LMS can do it well.  If I
have to I could also run foobar2000 on my laptop in the lounge, plug the
laptop into the Ethernet, and play music out via the async USB DAC in my
hi-fi, but that leaves wires all over the room which I don't like.

The reason for describing how my non-LMS system would work is that I
wonder whether ickStream will have the ability to plug the main hole in
this solution, i.e. provide a reliable UPnP Controller, or provide some
other solution to drive my pre-amp direct without using my LMS Touch,
with customised tags and menus.

LMS 7.8 on VortexBox Midi, FLACs 16 or 24 bit. Touch on Ethernet (in
another room), digital out to a Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC. Old wireless
laptop running Linux Mint Debian controls server using Chromium.
Squeezelite on Ubuntu & Windows desktops plus the laptop.  Meridian
Explorer USB DAC to listen directly to Vortexbox & other PCs as
required.  Spare Touch in loft!