RonM wrote:
> It strikes me that the easiest thing to do is to manage this with
> genres.  You could use MP3 tag to have the kids tag their music with
> their name(s), or some other identifier.  From a storage point of view,
> they could just be mixed in with everything else, and would show up on
> the master lists of titles/authors/albums.  Alternatively, put all of
> their music into separate sub-folders within the main library (will
> still scan), which might make tagging with the appropriate genre easier
> (MP3 tag takes a folder at a time, so this will only work for batch
> tagging if the individual albums/artists aren't in separate
> sub-folders).  You can use multiple tags, so something could be tagged
> with both "metal" and "Mary".
>
> For teens, this seems way the easiest, rather than going to a
> technological fix.
>
> It's a similar idea to Michael's, but without the customization.
>
> R.

agree. and I'd emphasize creating a separate subdirectory in your music
library parent directory for keeping the kids music. Then it is easy to
manage (copy to another location, delete when no longer needed, etc.).
Because of the way my VB Server works I have:

\music\flac\artist\album\....
\music\flac\lossyonly\artist\album....

This way I can easily isolate what's in my FLAC vs lossy library. Make
sure that any music program other than LMS that uses these directories
is setup to NOT automatically organize the files (e.g., itunes would
automatically move all those lossyonly files under the same artist
subdirectories in the flac directory if I didn't turn off that option in
itunes.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify