The other way around.
It will start primarily as a player, probably with basic controls like
favorites.
I plan to add full browsing eventually but it's cumbersome compared to
an iPhone.

The lack of a touch screen makes for very bad remote controls.
Especially for admin stuff.  You have no idea how often I have wanted to
throw that remote at the next wall when I had to enter all my
credentials again through that finicky text input.
Try to use a Squeezebox Radio as a remote and you get an idea of how the
thing feels.

No, the Apple TV NEEDS a remote control, it's not one by itself.

Also... There's no background mode on Apple TV so an App has to run in
the foreground to be active.
Apple plans to use the Apple TV as a hub for HomeKit but that's just
using their own, OS-integrated technologies, there not a lot App
developers can add on the device itself here.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*