captcaveman wrote:
> I want to buy a new music player, probably for my son age 11 for his
> room
> He doesn't currently have a phone though will probably get a cheap
> android
> I use Spotify mostly and could get a family account though just for me
> at present.
> Mu music is stored on the network, quality is not a huge issue for him,
> and most of my music is compressed anyway
> I have a touch and like its simplicity (now that I have worked out how
> to get Spotty on it) and discovered all the other aps to explore
> He has an amp and speakers in his room so something touch like would
> work, or even just a simple networking radio with a spotify account,
> though if it has a line out it would be preferable
>
> Any ideas on players?? I'm happy to look for 2nd hand slim devices but
> worry about making my own with a RPi as I've never explored them
> My other devices are 2 Gramofons and a Chromecast audio but Id prefer
> one with its own display
>
> Cavey

The following is a list of devices that can operate exactly like a
Squeezebox that have screens

S/H SB Touch
S/H SB Radio
S/H SB3
Raspbery Pi with official Raspberry Touchscreen
Android Tablet - Squeezeplayer + any one of the control apps
iPad or iPhone - with iPeng
O2 Joggler - flashed with SqueezeOS

The following will output to a TV / Monitor

Raspberry Pi
Google Chromecast - with Phillipe's plugin
Apple TV  - with Phillipe's plugin

The following are just audio

S/H SB Duet
Raspberry Pi
Google Chromecast Audio
AirPlay Speaker

All of the above work. I have tested them.

Then there are a number of Android radio type devices where it should be
possible to install squeezeplayer and a control app

*Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS*
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
*Office* - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN
755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones