In terms of immediate simplicity and low cost, if an Android phone is in
the works, using that device as a player with line out to the stereo is
an option.

I use SB Player in combination with Squeeze Ctrl, from the same
developer. Squeeze Ctrl is my controller of choice, use it for all my
devices.  For direct listening from the mobile, you choose SB Player as
the player instead of the other devices on the network (assuming the
mobile has access to the wifi network). I use it with headphones all the
time, as well as occasionally with a small amped speaker. With high-draw
headphones it can sometimes be a problem getting loud enough, although
this is not an issue for the vast majority of headphones, but with the
stereo it won't be an issue.

The downside is that the phone is tethered, unless you set up a
bluetooth receiver with the stereo.

One advantage would be that he could use the mobile with earbuds or
headphones, sparing you the volume of whatever he's listening to in his
room.

R.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare