d6jg wrote:
> You say that Clive but all Pi variants before 4 feature a shared bus for
> the USB and LAN interfaces which is known to be problematic. The Pi4
> splits them and provides a full gigabit LAN and also includes USB3 ports
> enabling users to attach a full USB3 drive which is much faster than
> USB2. Apart from the overheating issue or non issue depending on how you
> look at it a Pi4 + USB3 drive should be much quicker than a Pi3 + USB3
> drive attached to a USB2 port.
All of the good things you mention about why the Pi4 is better than the
Pi3 are perfectly valid when considered in an appropriate context. I
applaud the fact they've decoupled the LAN from USB, and that it now has
USB3. (FWIW, I still think an onboard SATA controller would be the icing
on the cake, but we're still waiting for that).

But none of the Pi3's limitations you mention are significant in the
context of an LMS server. My LMS running on a Pi3 with library on an SSD
attached via USB2 has never, not once, ever, given me any trouble. It
supports 5 players no problem. You don't need gigabit ethernet and/or
USB3 speeds to stream the mickey-mouse data rates consumed by audio.

Using a more capable device when it's not justified, and suffering other
issues as a result, would be considered pretty daft in most walks of
life.
It's a bit like choosing to go to Tesco (Walmart for our US cousins) in
a Ferrari instead of a Ford - no advantage, and you end up burning more
fuel.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A