results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

MrSinatra;267228 Wrote:
> first of all, the box wouldn't need the green screen anymore, and thats
> the most expensive part by far (so we're told).
>
> consider what the ipod touch can do for $299
>
> are you saying a simpler device isn't then possible?

Yes that is what I am saying!  SC does much more than an ipod.  An ipod
can NOT transcode on-the-fly.  That alone is what makes the hardware
requirement high.

> for one thing, its annoying to need to have one on.  for another,
> portability.  for a third, needless complication and use of computing
> and network resources.  etc...  for some its great, for others its
> not.

If you have a box as you describe do you not think it would take as
long to boot as a PC?  It would, so you either leave it on all the time
or wait for it to boot.  No better off than you are now.  I think the
part you miss is what is needed to do what the SC can do.  I am not an
audiophile btw, however I understand hardware rather well and know what
can and can not be done with current processing power.  If you make it
small it will need active cooling, if you do not want active cooling
you will need to make it larger.  Well you could make it small but if
someone jammed it into a small media rack chances are it will fail
quickly.

--
m1abrams