bulletmark wrote:
results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?
- Yes
- No
- In the middle

JJZolx;266955 Wrote:
SlimServer chose their path a long time ago. A relatively dumb device
relying on the brains running in very complex server software on a
computer that is powerful enough to do the job.  Logitech bought into
that philosophy and that's where it stands.
Yes, but that doesn't mean the architecture can not evolve. I'm new
here and was admittedly attracted to the squeezebox largely because I
am a linux head but I after playing around for a few weeks I think that
the architecture could be improved somewhat.

I would de-emphasise squeezecenter in favour of squeezenetwork and put
more smarts in the SB/controller (e.g. add a samba client) so the user
side computer required nothing more than a dumb file server (e.g. a
simple NAS). Everybody has a permanent internet connection now and it
would be much easier for SD to concentrate on SN rather than the
platform/portability issues that go with SC. The controller hardware is
probably powerful enough to support enough intelligence there now
(unlike back in the days when the SB was originally designed). The big
advantage is that it would become much easier and simpler for the
user.

I would strongly disagree, so apparently what you call improvement is a rather subjective matter.

Regards,
Peter