results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

gorman;267324 Wrote:
> I am kind of surprised by this type of reaction. Nobody is taking away
> or proposing to take away your capability of running SqueezeCenter from
> a PC.
>
> I think, though, that the OP has a very good point. There has to be,
> and there is the need to find, a solution that would put the awesome
> music listening power that Slimdevices solutions grant to music lovers
> that are not tech-savy enough.
>
> I look at Sonos prices and I read here that they are quite successful,
> so a market for a higher priced solution exists.
>
> Maybe today is too soon for it to be priced correctly, but in a year's
> time? 2 GB of RAM, 2 TB of space, a fast enough processor for whatever
> transcoding needs and to be capable of serving music to, let's say 6
> boxes around a house... maybe a CD drive to automate the ripping and
> tagging process. I think this could be doable for less than $600.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I would love for something like this to exist, so
> that I could give it as a gift to my mother.

The point is that ripping and tagging are hard to PROPERLY automate.
You can NEARLY do it, but in the end you will need a PC or at least
something with a keyboard. Most (all?) turnkey solutions that grab tags
from the Internet have this issue. It matters a lot to some people (eg
me!). At this point the NAS/single box unit to me becomes an annoyance.
Now I need a PC and a NAS...so I'll just stick with the PC.

I think if you aren't 100% fussy about sound quality and tags and
plugins, a single box solution like the Sonos etc is OK.

I don't think this is the "slim" market that Squeezebox etc is aimed
at.

However, if the "single box unit" had the ability to run EAC, Connect
to the Net, edit tags, install plugins, do scheduled external backups
etc then yes...oh look...it's a PC/Mac!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables