results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

MrSinatra, so if I understand correctly you are suggesting a device that
performs similar functions to the Slimserver software done in a
dedicated box or in a Squeezebox. To reduce cost and simplify operation
it would have reduced functionallity.

Your target audience for this is, I believe, people who are not PC
literate or who chose not to want a PC running. PC being losely defined
here as a general purpose desktop (or server) computing running various
common operating systems.

Now I believe one of the things that you suggested was that it didn't
need to be indexed as this could be done on another computer. Thinking
in terms of your target audience then this doesn't address the needs of
those which are not PC literate because you need to specifically
generate indexes everytime something changes. Storing music elsewhere
to where it is used take some knowledge to setup. Have a look around
the forums at the messages from people using network attached storage
who can't get indexing and/or playlists to work because the mount
points are different on different computers.

So the question that you then have to ask is indexing important enough
or can I leave it out all together. Indexing is important for speed and
actually the slower the device the more important indexing becomes.

Now the database itself takes some processing so do we need the
database. Without it you wouldn't have the indexing (slight exageration
here). You can access music on the SB now through browsing by file
structure. Without the database though you lose all the additional ways
to access music. The way in which you manage your music library then
becomes vitally important to your enjoyment. Do you want to build a
music manager into this device?

Broadly speaking, the database is a form or music manager just one
which is more flexible than a file structure based manager. Yes you can
manage the library on another computer and there are programs already
there to do it. This though would be detrimental to the non PC literate
audience. And given the many discussions on even tagging for audiophiles
with classical collections is may be very difficult.

What else might you not need. Well you probably don't need the web
interface at all. But doing so would mean that the SB remote would be
needed to enter relevant information such as the location of the music.
Although you can do it, I don't think that it is particularly a user
friendly way of entering long strings of text even for PC literate
computer junkie never mind the target audience. OK so there is an
argument for a PC setup application.

What about ripping and tagging. As this is potentially built into an SB
or a similar form factor device it won't have a CD drive which is
probably a good thing since this would increase the processing
requirement. For this we need a PC.

Tagging. Tagging is either inherent from where you store the music
(back to the music manager) or is information stored within the
file/database. If we have done away with the database then we just have
the file. Automated tagging doesn't always work very well, for myself
only about half the CDs I have came up with the right track information
either directly or in the seach list that taggers bring back. I'd guess
the more modern the CD the more likely you are to get correct tags
(excluding genre etc).

OK rather than go on more. Deciding what functionality to leave out is
a very difficult choice especially when you have already got it. How
much can you leave out without affecting the enjoyment of your target
audience. I also suspect that audiophiles and none PC literate people
are two completely different audiences.

In practice I suspect what you would end up doing is building a small
form factor general purpose computer with solid state storage and then
tailoring an operating system to it. Probably something like a linux
variant on a rewritable storage medium. Irrespective of what hardware
acceleration I personally can't see another way of achieving a workable
solution.

What I would conceed however is that if they did it then they would
have extreamly tight control over the system operation. This is great
for support terrible for flexibility or choice.

If you want to think a little outside the box consider what you would
need to do to get an off the shelf PDA to act as the server. It already
has may of the qualities that have been suggested, small form factor,
low power, quite etc. It even has a built in screen/keyboard for easier
integration.

--
Zaragon