results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

m1abrams;267267 Wrote:
> Yes that is what I am saying!  SC does much more than an ipod.  An ipod
> can NOT transcode on-the-fly.  That alone is what makes the hardware
> requirement high.

that happens to be a feature i don't need...

but again, u can specialize hardware, you don't have to use a general
purpose CPU and then some OS and app to do this.

if they can sell a transporter for over a 1000 they can sell a fat box
for $400 (or whatever) that puts SS in the box.

radish;267256 Wrote:
> If you have a box as you describe do you not think it would take as long
> to boot as a PC?

thats not NECESSARILY true.

again it depends on the HW.

radish;267256 Wrote:
> It would, so you either leave it on all the time or wait for it to boot.
> No better off than you are now.

at what point did i say i am concerned with power on times?

radish;267256 Wrote:
> I think the part you miss is what is needed to do what the SC can do.  I
> am not an audiophile btw, however I understand hardware rather well and
> know what can and can not be done with current processing power.  If
> you make it small it will need active cooling, if you do not want
> active cooling you will need to make it larger.  Well you could make it
> small but if someone jammed it into a small media rack chances are it
> will fail quickly.

i don't understand this negative defeatism.

i do not believe that a chip designed to transcode on the fly would
need active cooling.  i do not believe that a device that could boot
and run off of internal flash memory (think embedded SD type card)
along with specialized cpus for its tasks and so on is so impossible.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.5 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram -
D-Link DIR-655