results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

Zaragon;267674 Wrote:

> In practice I suspect what you would end up doing is building a small
> form factor general purpose computer with solid state storage and then
> tailoring an operating system to it. Probably something like a linux
> variant on a rewritable storage medium. Irrespective of what hardware
> acceleration I personally can't see another way of achieving a workable
> solution.

Agreed 100%.

The "missing piece" is, IMHO, a reasonably spec'd Linux box with a very
stripped down OS.... but then we're back to describing basically a
high-power NAS box with some custom code for "insert a disc and have it
rip automatically" and a pretty configuration front end.  (Leaving out
the front end would be bad, I am not sure the target audience would
like to learn about rippers and encoders on their PC.)

In short, the same sort of box as a NAS, but with better CPU and RAM
specs than most, and some pretty simple custom software.

Of course, this is sort of what Sonos has, and I am not sure how many
Sonos users end up ripping music and how many just use Rhapsody...   my
bet is that most still just use Rhapsody.

Which brings us to another problem: people here are not normal.  My
parents would never ever spend even $300 on a music player, and they
brought me up in a music-listening household... but it is just not as
crucial to them as it is to me....  they are probably far closer to
'normal' than I am...

So you're still talking about a very very small audience.

Seperating the "I want" ideals from "what would the average guy in
BestBuy want" is very hard, and I don't think most people here realize
that their tastes and values differ greatly from the way most people
listen to music, and that most people really don't care about anything
but Top40.

--
snarlydwarf