It might be my knowledge that isn't deep enough regarding this, but I
really can't understand what you mean.

The many to many tables contains information that isn't available
anywhere else in the database, so they can't just be removed without
moving the information anywhere else.

I will give an example how the current database layout is filled to
make it a bit more clear.

Let's say we have a two tracks:
Track 1: Belongs to Genre "Pop" and genre "Easy Listening", performed
by the artist "John Doe" and composed by "Mozart"
Track 2: Belongs to Genre "Pop", performed by the artist "John Doe"

In the database this will be represented as:

tracks
======
Row 1: Id=1, Title="Track 1"
Row 2: Id=2, Title="Track 2"

genre_track
===========
Row 1: Genre=10, Track=1
Row 2: Genre=20, Track=1
Row 3: Genre=10, Track=2

genres
======
Row 1: Id=10, Name="Pop"
Row 2: Id=20, Name="Easy Listening"

contributor_track
=================
Row 1: Contributor=100, Track=1, Role="artist"
Row 2: Contributor=200, Track=1, Role="composer"
Row 3: Contributor=100, Track=2, Role="artist"

contributors
============
Row 1: Id=100, Name="John Doe"
Row 2: Id=200, Name="Mozart"

(I made the id's in the examples within different ranges, just to make
it easier to see which id is related to which id)

If I understand you correctly you are suggesting that the information
in genre_track and contributor_track is just removed from the database
?

How would it in this case be possible to find the composer for Track 1
?
How would it in this case be possible to find all the genres for Track
1 ?

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))