I have worked very hard to configure the whole ReadyNas/SqueezeCenter
combination based on the latest versions available and I have now
achieved a workable combination of options. It is now performing well
although I still maintain that the database structure and SQL are the
root cause of the slowness of the scans and playlist creation (see my
earlier post),

There was a further problem I experienced where a track would play for
about 2-3 seconds and then stop for a couple of seconds before
restarting – very annoying. I experimented with different options one
at a time until I decided to reinstall using the latest versions of
Raidiator and SqueezeCenter available on 28/04/08. I installed these
plus the Plugin Pack and the Multiplayer Plugin Pack. Then I
uninstalled all Plugins through the Settings option except:

Favorites  - I would like to disable this but the ‘tick box’ will not
respond
Grab Playlist
Random Mix
Save Playlist
The Synchronizer

The key to the problem of tracks Start-Stop-Starting seemed to be this
one under Settings/Advanced/Network:

Synchronized Players Startup Delay – 500

On the ReadyNas FrontView, I have disabled everything and uninstalled
all Add-ons except:

Services/Standard File Protocols
CIFS
NFS
AFP
Advertise AFP service over Bonjour
Advertise AFP service over AppleTalk
        HTTP
        HTTPS

Services/Streaming Services
SlimServer

UPnP AV                         - I want to remove this but I can’t
Home Media Streaming    - I want to remove this but I can’t

Services/Discovery Services
Bonjour service

UPnP                                    - I want to remove this but I can’t

Services/Installed Add-ons

I have uninstalled all Add-ons

System/Performance Options
Disable full data journaling