On 20 September 2016 at 08:59, Leighton Pritchard
<leightonpritch...@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We’ll be teaching a workshop soon, with a visually-impaired (blind) student.
> This is a new experience for me, and I was wondering if any of you might be
> able to share some advice for teaching strategies/approaches to delivering
> material that could be useful?

I've never taught to a blind student, but I've got a bunch of friends
who are blind, so here is a couple of things to keep in mind:

- Make sure you give all explanation orally. That'll be hard
considering you'll probably show a lot of code. I'd suggest sharing
your material with him/her beforehand making sure every piece of code
you'll type is in there (or record what you are typing and upload it
somewhere everytime you save).
- Make sure your material are accessible (in that case, readable with
a screenreader). Schema should be avoided. Text is fine. Most pdf are
accessible, most *simple* html is as well, but fancy javascript can be
problematic.
- Make sure that the tables, chairs and cables are quite tidy and
aren't moved around too much.

In practice, all my blind friends are very autonomous, so I wouldn't
worry too much. You can also ask that student directly: he/she may be
able to give you some advice.

Cheers,