Thanks Nelle,

That’s really good advice, and very much appreciated!

We’ve had some additional advice off-list, and your last point - communicate
with the student ahead of time to find out their needs - is maybe the most
humane and practical piece of advice anyone could give for this and similar
situations.

Many thanks,

L.

> On 20 Sep 2016, at 18:48, Nelle Varoquaux <nelle.varoqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20 September 2016 at 08:59, Leighton Pritchard
> <leightonpritch...@mac.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We’ll be teaching a workshop soon, with a visually-impaired (blind) student.
>> This is a new experience for me, and I was wondering if any of you might be
>> able to share some advice for teaching strategies/approaches to delivering
>> material that could be useful?
>
> I've never taught to a blind student, but I've got a bunch of friends
> who are blind, so here is a couple of things to keep in mind:
>
> - Make sure you give all explanation orally. That'll be hard
> considering you'll probably show a lot of code. I'd suggest sharing
> your material with him/her beforehand making sure every piece of code
> you'll type is in there (or record what you are typing and upload it
> somewhere everytime you save).
> - Make sure your material are accessible (in that case, readable with
> a screenreader). Schema should be avoided. Text is fine. Most pdf are
> accessible, most *simple* html is as well, but fancy javascript can be
> problematic.
> - Make sure that the tables, chairs and cables are quite tidy and
> aren't moved around too much.
>
> In practice, all my blind friends are very autonomous, so I wouldn't
> worry too much. You can also ask that student directly: he/she may be
> able to give you some advice.
>
> Cheers,

Leighton Pritchard
leightonpritch...@mac.com