Mike Scott wrote (6-10-2009 9:47)
Robert Derman wrote:
For ordinary users, the currant bug reporting system is worse than worthless! I would suspect that 95% + just give up and never try to report any bugs using it. If we don't toss it and replace it with something totally different, the only way we will ever get a working bug reporting system is to place a group of people between the ordinary users and the bug reporting system.

+1

I certainly find it more trouble than it seems to be worth -- and I don't count myself exactly an "ordinary user", either.

But since appr. 35% of entered issues is not correct (duplicate, invalid, works for me, wontfix)(*) I doubt that making it more easy to enter issues really will help the project. - It will result in an even larger pile of submitted issues, with on average less quality
 - so handling will cost more resources,
- while it will result in a small amount (compared to what we already have) of issues that make sense,
 - while the current amount cannot be fixed/realised already,
- and it results in less resources for resolving and QA for the real issues (since more are needed to handle a larger stream) ...

How much I would love to see an ideal situation where each user could easily enter issues ... real world is not like that. The product and process are just too complicated. But what I do like of our project, that often on the users mail list or in the forum, people with real issues get assistance to have them filed in IssueTracker. So that ís positive :-)

Regards,
Cor

*) Mail Thorsten Ziehm, yesterday, on d...@qa:

"
in 2008 : 37,0% of all defects cost only resources (invalid, dubs...)
          - duplicate   16,4%
          - worksforme    10,5%
          - invalid      8,1%
          - wontfix      2,0%

in 2009 : 32,9% of all defects cost only resources (invalid, dubs...)
           - duplicate  15,2%
           - worksforme  7,6%
           - invalid     8,2%
           - wontfix     1,9%