Here's another of the old notes that didn't make it...

From: Charlie Arehart [mailto:careh...@carehart.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:29 PM
To: 'discussion@acfug.org'
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] CF Applications hosted on third party
webserver/hosting services

Ajas, you shouldn't notice any overhead from this slow page logging, no. Of
course, you could if your server activity caused it to log huge amounts
quickly, but it's not typical (and not likely, because if you have a LOT of
slow requests-enough to log so many as to wonder whether to worry-you'd in
fact then not likely get many running at a high rate of requests/sec.)

You ask for any suggestions on using this feature. One thing I'll point out
is that Ray Camden has a tool to help find within the server.log file the
entries that are generated by this feature. They can be easy to miss,
otherwise. Learn more in my category on CF Log Analysis Tools at
http://www.carehart.org/cf411/#cflog, where I point to a couple of blog
entries he's done on the tool (different for 7 and 8).

I'll also say this: be aware that this tracks requests only once they
complete, not as soon as they cross the threshold you set. This confuses
many, both because they look at the log at a point in time during the day
and conclude, "we don't see any entries in the log right now, so we must not
have any long running at the moment." Au contraire, mon fraire. ;-} They
could be running and will not log until they complete. Similarly, if your
server crashes, you won't have any record of these long-running requests (by
way of this log, at least) if they are still running at the time of the
crash.

Just something to keep in mind. They're certainly better than nothing.

Better still is a tool like the CF8 Server Monitor (free if you have CF8
Enterprise) or FusionReactor or SeeFusion (commercial for CF 6, 7, and 8,
standard or enterprise). All 3 will provide an interface to show you what
requests are running at any time, and FusionReactor goes farther than the
other two to also log the requests-all of them, not just slow ones, which
can be really valuable, especially for post mortem analysis after a crash,
to see what led up to it, what was running at the time of the crash, and
even for evaluating how requests ran long before the time of a crash, which
can be very enlightening. I recommend for that a free tool to analyze any
kind of log, called Microsoft Log Parser. You can learn more about it, and
specifically using it with FusionReactor logs, at:

http://groups.google.com/group/fusionreactor/web/log-parser-commands-for-fr-
3

Hope that's helpful, both for you and your question about the slow request
log and for other aspects of doing similar analysis.

/charlie