Well that and it depends on if they're using virtualization.

John
ma...@fusionlink.com

On 7/9/10 4:53 PM, Charlie Arehart wrote:
Well, to be clear, you say he may need only one CF 9 Enterprise license, but
would
that be because you're assuming the other 2 he owns are for test only? He
doesn't
quite say that, as far as I see. He said:

We already have about 3 ColdFusion 7 enterprise licenses and this would be
an upgrade. I am not sure how to proceed since we want CF 9 only in
development for now as we are testing. Like I said, our trial expires soon.
It's not clear from that if all 3 cf7 ent licenses are used in production. But
yes, if
perhaps only 1 was, the other two were for test only, then yes he can get by
with 1.
But I'd be surprised to hear of someone paying for 3 enterprise license and
using 2 in
test and 1 in prod. :-) Sure, it could happen (test, staging, production), but
that
seems rare. So I just wanted to get clarification before Ajas makes a mistaken
conclusion.

But yes, as for pure development (single server, only a couple of users), you
don't
even need to buy a CF9 license. That's indeed where the free Dev edition can
suffice.

One last point of clarification for Ajas (or others): only with purchase of CF9
do you
get the privilege to run its license in a test/staging server. There's no
grandfathering of 8, 7, etc.

For more on all this, see this blog entry from Terry Ryan:
http://www.terrenceryan.com/blog/post.cfm/coldfusion-9-testing-staging-and-development
-changes-to-eula

See also especially all the comment that followed.