So you mean that someone is averse to doing the testing on a box that is used
for
production, right? As a preference?

I'm just clarifying that technically, one could do such "testing" on a new
implementation of CF9 on a box already running CF 8. They are unconnected to
each
other (you don't need to uninstall CF8 to install CF9. They can run at the same
time.)
Assuming that there are reasonable resources on the box, running two instances
of CF
at once shouldn't be a huge deal (heck, some people intentionally run more than
one
copy of CF at a time when using multiple instances, so it's really no
different.) And
you could create a "test" web site on the IIS of the prod server that would
point to
this trial CF implementation (whether server or multiserver).

But sure, I understand that someone may have a purist perspective who'd say,
"no,
we're not doing any testing on a prod box". I could understand that if there
was some
known experience of your testing somehow bringing a box to its knees, but often
testing is pretty lightweight. It's their call, of course.

I was just pointing out another solution to your dilemma of a trial having run
out on
one of the boxes.

/charlie