DarkFoon wrote:
What about that jumpering thing, though?

I've never done it, but I believe that hard codes the drive's limit to some fixed number, and I don't know that software can work around that fixed number. Regardless, the chance of actually using 300 GB on a machine that old is essentially nil. The best you could hope for is likely 127 GB of that 300 because it's extremely unlikely, even with a BIOS upgrade, that a K6-2 machine supports 48 bit LBA addressing. I'd put it this way - I'd spend maybe 4-5 hours getting that hunk of shit to work as best it can, @ $X/hr, or about 2 hours getting a $200 ebay special low end P4 machine to work in the same scenario. You do the math - at my $X rate, it's cheaper to buy the better machine up front. Not to mention that K6 is probably on its last legs. When it dies in 6 months, it'll be another couple hours of labor minimum and you'll have to buy the machine anyway.