This is the old text.

Describing the distribution
===========================

The distribution metadata should include a longer description of the
distribution that may run to several paragraphs. Software that deals
with metadata should not assume any maximum size for the description.

The recommended location for the description is in the metadata payload,
separated from the header fields by at least one completely blank line
(that is, two successive line separators with no other characters
between them, not even whitespace).

Alternatively, the description may be provided in the `Description`__
metadata header field. Providing both a ``Description`` field and a
payload is an error.

__ `Description (optional, deprecated)`_

The distribution description can be written using reStructuredText
markup [1]_.  For programs that work with the metadata, supporting
markup is optional; programs may also display the contents of the
field as plain text without any special formatting.  This means that
authors should be conservative in the markup they use.