On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:55 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason for *not* making PEP 566 a major version bump is in case
> anyone actually implemented this draft requirement from PEP 426:
> "Automated tools consuming metadata SHOULD warn if metadata_version is
> greater than the highest version they support, and MUST fail if
> metadata_version has a greater major version than the highest version
> they support (as described in PEP 440, the major version is the value
> before the first dot)."

>From a quick glance at 'git annotate', it appears that every wheel
built between 2013 and now has used metadata_version=2.0. So I think
we can be pretty sure that no-one is implementing this recommendation!
Or if they are, then they've coded their tools to assume that they
*do* understand metadata_version=2.0, which is even worse.

That's the advantage of bumping to 2.0 now -- it keeps our ordering
linear, so that we have the option of implementing a rule like the one
from PEP 426 in the future without breaking existing packages.
Otherwise we're in this weird position where we have teach our tools
that just because they understand 1.3 and 2.0 doesn't mean they
understand 1.4.

-n