On 18 January 2018 at 10:22, Dustin Ingram <di@di.codes> wrote:
>> Metadata 1.3 vs Metadata 2.0
>
> I agree with Nick here that since this version is backwards-compatible, that
> it
> should remain Metadata 1.3.
>
> In addition, I think we should avoid overloading the already-in-use "2.0"
> version as possibly being either a "PEP 566 flavor 2.0" or a "PEP 426 flavor
> 2.0".

Nathaniel raised a good point, which is that client tools have already
been accepting "bdist_wheel-flavoured metadata 2.0" for years, so we
can be confident no client tools are actually rejecting metadata
versions that start with "2.x".

Given that, I think it would be reasonable to finally Withdraw PEP 426
(rather than continuing to defer it), and have PEP 566 define metadata
version 2.1, so that it's unambiguously the latest metadata version.

I wouldn't hold up the PEP over that (since I think calling it
metadata 1.3 is also fine), but I just wanted to note that my original
objection to the idea was ill-founded.