On 19 January 2018 at 00:14, Joni Orponen <j.orpo...@4teamwork.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:58 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Given that, I think it would be reasonable to finally Withdraw PEP 426
>> (rather than continuing to defer it), and have PEP 566 define metadata
>> version 2.1, so that it's unambiguously the latest metadata version.
>
> Jump straight to 3.0 to clear out any confusion and/or ambiguity on the next
> backwards-incompatible one?

While we could do that, wheel's use of "2.0" actually stems from early
drafts of PEP 426, and PEP 566 *is* backwards compatible with that.

So I like 2.1 - higher than everything previously used, but an
incremental update to the early versions of 426 before we/I started
imagining a ground up redesign of the metadata definition.