Hey Gary,

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 19:56 -0500, Gary Wilson wrote:
> I would like to request comments/suggestions about a few patches I have
> submitted recently for the newforms library that solve some issues that
> I encountered during the development of some newforms.
>
> #3718 - newforms.Form.clean should have access to field errors [1]

I'm not sure what this really gains. Fixing the second part of #3896
means that all the necessary information is in cleaned_data. I'm -0 on
this, because I feel it's pretty pointless, merely providing more than
one way to do something (not a good thing).

Now convince me I'm wrong. What use-case have I overlooked?

> #3896 - pass value to field specific clean function [2]

Grr...don't put two issues in one ticket!

I'm -1 on the first part because it's an unnecessary backwards
incompatibility change for the most part. It's not like it's a massive
performance improvement in an area that is currently slow.

Definitely +1 on the second part, though. Removing the first assignment
to self.cleaned_data would make a lot of sense.

> #4271 - Form should use a copy of data passed to it [3]

Make up your mind! You want to save a single variable access in #3896,
but do a whole dictionary copy every time here??! :-)

I'm a bit torn about this, because QueryDict.copy() isn't free and the
use-case you mention in the bug isn't particularly common and isn't
currently impossibly to do at the moment, by doing the copy() in the
Form constructor.

I'm probably -0 for that reason. Not something I feel particularly
strongly about, though.

> #4297 - make BaseForm's __errors attribute non-private [4]

Whoops. I thought I'd already changed this one to Accepted. Apparently
I'd only got as far as making the decision in my head. I agree with you
on this. I couldn't think of a reason to hide that value (and making it
"_errors", rather than "errors" is the right change).

I worry about people who want to hide away error messages after the
fact, rather than fixing the problems in the right place (whatever
validation generated the errors), but that's their problem. We'll
provided shotguns and bullets if it's not too hard, they can provide the
feet and entertain themselves at will.

Regards,
Malcolm