On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Start a "train release" schedule: schedule a couple of 1.0 betas, a
> rc or two, and then a final release. Features that are done by the
> dates get released, those that aren't, don't. Make these dates
> aggressive but not crazy. And -- here's the controversial part -- make
> newforms-admin an "optional" part. If it's done, awesome; if not,
> include it in the next release. The current admin has some bugs, yes,
> but it's usable enough. As long as we advertised that it's on the way
> out we shouldn't have too much trouble.

-1, for now at least. IMHO, we simply cannot release a v1.0 that has
oldforms in it, and without the merge of newforms-admin, we're not
going to be able to do that.

Newforms-admin is the last piece in an important cycle of refactoring
that has been going on since Django was originally open sourced.
Magic-removal cleaned up model defintions, the query syntax, and some
model loading issues. Queryset-refactor cleaned up the query
internals. Newforms cleaned up manipulator/oldforms. Newforms-admin
completes the newforms transition.

Once NFA is done, I can't really think of an area of Django that will
require wholesale change - there are lots of improvements that can be
made, but they should be incremental, rather than massive. For those
sorts of changes, train-schedule releases are ideal. However, we need
a solid foundation to work on.

As for getting the work done - I've been distracted for most of this
year, but I'm starting to get some free time again. I have been
working though a backlog of little tickets. However, most of these are
minor feature enhancements. I'm happy to put those on hold and work on
newforms-admin instead so we can get this monkey off our backs.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)