On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 21:16 -0400, Karen Tracey wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         * Start a "train release" schedule: schedule a couple of 1.0
>         betas, a
>         rc or two, and then a final release. Features that are done by
>         the
>         dates get released, those that aren't, don't. Make these dates
>         aggressive but not crazy. And -- here's the controversial part
>         -- make
>         newforms-admin an "optional" part. If it's done, awesome; if
>         not,
>         include it in the next release. The current admin has some
>         bugs, yes,
>         but it's usable enough. As long as we advertised that it's on
>         the way
>         out we shouldn't have too much trouble.
>
>         Thoughts?
>
> I'd trade your controversial part for an alternative: merge
> mewforms-admin back to trunk now.  It's been as 'usable' as old admin
> for months.  Sure, it's got a couple of dozen 'blocking' bugs in the
> tracker but none of them are all that serious.  Current admin, as you
> note, also has some bugs.  Trade the existing
> known-never-going-to-be-fixed current admin bugs for a different set
> of newforms-admin bugs and get on with fixing the second set already.
> Once on trunk the community's interest will be higher so you'll get
> better feedback on what is and is not really important to users, more
> people who might help out with actual fixes, etc.

+1

I know there is a commitment to keep trunk as stable as possible, but if
there is a push for moving forward quickly, this is the way to go. I'm
running newforms-admin for several public sites already, and have not
experienced a single problem which I'd remember now. Porting from the
current admin to nfa was very straightforward too.